Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Self Portrait Project Day 2. The Tulle Experiment.

I decided to play high fashion dress up today. Correction; I decided to create the illusion of high fashion dress up. 

I wore the same outfit I had on all day, I just added darker lip color and wrapped tulle around my head.

Below you will find today's "before" snapshot. I call it a snapshot because there was no professional thought. It was simply a light test and a quick shot to show where I'm working tonight. I'm sitting on my bed with the window behind me, and my camera is set up on a stack of totes because I left my tripod in the car and didn't feel like walking downstairs to get it. :-)  Mini lesson: don't be afraid to improvise!

OK...before...
Not very impressive, is it? LOL

As you can see, my bed is unmade and there is only about 2.5 feet between me and the wall. Small space. 


Looking at this quick test shot, I noticed that the curtains were gaping open, so I did close them before doing the next series of shots, and I shifted my position a little bit to camera right to center myself in front of the window. I also moved the camera accordingly. Other than that, I made no changes to lighting, location or clothing.

Next I put on a bunch of lip color. I really put it on thick because I wanted strong lip presence for this photo shoot. Otherwise, it was the same make up I wore all day.

Next I wrapped myself up in tulle, starting with my pony tail to make it stand straight up on my  head. Then I wound it around my face, neck, and shoulders.

The first few shots were unusable because I had the tulle too thickly wrapped around the bottom portion of my face and it was so dark, it looked like part of my face had fallen off. That made me laugh, but it wasn't the intended effect so I started again. I re-wrapped the tulle and got a better result.

Here is the finished image...

As you can see, the final image is striking. 

I used Photoshop to crop this image, as well as intensifying my eye color and lip color. I also brightened my face, and softened the edges of the image.

What do you think? Do you like it?
I'm really happy with how it turned out.


Tech info:

Canon EOS 60D
ISO 100
Fstop: 22
1/250/second

Lens: Canon EFS 18-55 Image Stabilizer
Focal length: 18mm

Flash: Canon Speedlite 430EXII
ETTL
Zoom 24mm
Power 1/1
Tilt: straight up, bouncing light off the (9 ft. white) ceiling as well as soft light from the front of the flash.
Flash modifier: Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce


No comments: