Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Aurora Borealis Was a No-Show But I Had a Great Time Anyway

A couple of weeks ago I set out to photograph the Aurora Borealis. It is rarely seen here in Oregon and I was excited at the prospect of capturing it "on film" so to speak, especially since I've never seen it in person.

I drove across the river to Goldendale, Washington and set up my gear in the midst of a wind farm. I wanted to show the hillside, the midnight sky, and the geometric shapes of the windmills with the aurora flashing across the sky. 

It was a good plan.

Unfortunately the aurora didn't happen as predicted.

I waited for several hours hoping for it to show up, but ended up photographing the area and myself, just for fun.  I might be able to use some of the windmill images for stock photography sales.  

Anyway, here are some examples of what I captured that night, including some pictures of me being silly for self portraits. Hey, a photographer has to shoot, even if the subject matter isn't exactly what was planned. LOL



Tech details for the windmill image: 
Camera: Canon 60D
Lens: Tamron 28-300 zoom
F4 @ 8 seconds
ISO: 2000
Auto White Balance

Edited in Photoshop to enhance contrast and brighten the sky.





No comments: