Monday, January 23, 2006

Valaree and Kris 9.17.2005


Valaree and Kris 9.17.2005
All weddings are special to me. I'm a romantic fool, and just melt when I'm around couples in love. This wedding was particularly special to me because I've been friends with Val's parents for years. It's an awesome responsibility to photograph a wedding, but even more so when it's for people that are close to your heart.
When Val and I did our pre-wedding consultation, she told me that she was not "one of those brides" who would freak out at the smallest thing, she wasn't fretting over the details, and although she had special plans for the wedding, she wasn't going to stress out if eveything wasn't perfect. Then she said something that really stuck with me, "I just want to get married".
For her, the wedding day wasn't about the ceremony or the reception...it was about beginning married life with the man of her dreams. I like that attitude!
Kris is just as special. As soon as Valaree stepped into the aisle to begin the ceremony, Kris began to cry. He had to keep wiping his eyes. You could just see it welling up in him...how much he loves Val and how happy he was to be marrying her. He made the rest of us cry, too! Luckily I keep kleenex in my pocket for just such an occassion.
The ceremony was lovely and sweet, and really focused on God and family. The love in that room was tangible, and I felt that I must be very reverent and quiet so as not to disturb this holy presence.
The reception was another thing altogether. Talk about raucus, rowdy and fun.......these people know how to DANCE and have a good time. Even without alcohol. They did the electric slide, the macarena, the chicken dance.......and all sorts of hip-hop stuff that looked like a lot of fun. (unfortunately for me, I'm un-coordinated and kinda dangerous on a dance floor. I actually broke my leg dancing one time....but that's another story)
At the end of the day, Val and Kris made their exit through a sea of bubbles and clapping, cheering family members. They drove away in their convertible get-away car waving and smiling, with balloons flying out of the car behind them.
It was a great honor to photograph this wedding for my friends, and to be allowed to be a part of such a tender, loving ceremony. I love you guys!
hugs,
Steph

No comments: